We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
From a very young age, Dr. Tara MacKay had a passion for animals and helping others, and for anyone who knows her, she has always dreamed of becoming a veterinarian.
Born and raised in Kamloops, Dr. MacKay received a degree in Animal Biology from Thompson Rivers University in 2011 before moving to Saskatoon to pursue her veterinary degree at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. MacKay graduated in 2015 and then worked for over a year at a small animal practice in Penticton, BC. It was here that she got to better develop her interests in preventative and wellness medicine. Her interests also include ophthalmology, oncology and internal medicine. She is very happy to be back working in Kamloops and excited to be joining the Kamloops Veterinary Clinic team.
Joining Dr. MacKay back in Kamloops is her boyfriend Charlie and their dog Mac, an 11-year-old Cocker Spaniel, and Miley, a very sweet rescue cat. When not working, they like to enjoy time exploring the outdoors in and around Kamloops and playing tourist, as well as spending time with friends and family.
Kennel cough is a highly contagious upper respiratory infection, that can be caused by a variety of different viruses and bacteria. The kennel cough vaccine available is able to protect against one of the most common sources of kennel cough, but just like with our human influenza vaccine, it cannot cover every strain.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
Last updated: Monday, May 25, 2020
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. Please bring a cell phone to your appointment. If you don't have a cell phone, please let us know and we will email you a history form to fill out prior to your appointment. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 250.374.1485. Be prepared to wait in your vehicle until our exam room is ready for your visit. Our team will arrange to meet you at the front door or at your vehicle. Please transfer your pet without any accoutrements (no clothing, toys, or other accessories). All cats must come in carriers. The doctor will call you on your cell phone to discuss the treatment plan.
2. We can now see all cases by appointment only.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours:
Monday to Saturday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
With recent operation changes, we have decided to close for lunch daily between 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm. This closure ensures our staff gets a much-needed break and a chance to reorganize orders and catch up. Thank you for your understanding!
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Kamloops Veterinary Clinic