250.374.1485

Tick Paralysis

Tick paralysis is a serious condition that can affect our pets during tick season. Tick paralysis is caused by a neurotoxin found in the saliva of some female ticks (Rocky Mountain wood tick or commonly called the wood tick). Not all female ticks carry the toxin, and not all pets develop paralysis after being bitten. The paralysis develops approximately 5 to 9 days after the tick attaches to the host (your pet). Hind limb weakness is the first sign of tick paralysis; this can then progress to forelimb weakness, then full paralysis. If left untreated, cranial nerves can be affected causing facial weakness, voice changes, trouble swallowing and decreased muscle tone. In very severe cases the respiratory muscles become paralyzed which can result in death.

Diagnosis is based on the clinical signs, finding a tick on the patient and rapid resolution of paralysis after the tick is removed. This disease can be confused with several other diseases so it is very important to visit your veterinarian immediately if you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms. Prognosis is very good provided the entire tick, including the mouthpiece, is removed.

Here at the Kamloops Veterinary Clinic, we see between 2 to 5 cases of tick paralysis per year. Prevention is the best treatment. There are several products available to keep you and your pet safe during tick season. For more information, please call the clinic to discuss what the best option is for your pet.

Written by Kamloops Veterinary Clinic 

Able to accommodate my dog on short notice. Friendly staff. The veterinarian we saw took her time and provided great…

Brad French

I been taking my fur babies here for 20 years. The staff are amazing!!! Caring and compassionate. I had some…

Tanya Faulkner

Absolutely amazing from the minute we called to the minute we walked out the door. They have the biggest hearts…

Katelyn Duperron

I have been taking my cats here for years and now I am taking our new puppy here too. The…

Julie Germyn

We have been taking it two dogs the for a number of years now, and the service and Doctors have…

G. Scott Stewart

Blog

dog

What You Need to Know About Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is a highly contagious upper respiratory infection, that can be caused by a variety of different viruses and bacteria. The kennel cough vaccine available is able to protect against one of the most common sources of kennel cough, but just like with our human influenza vaccine, it cannot cover every strain.

Read More
See All Articles